Tuesday 1 October 2019

A Big Leap

I've been living in the beautiful city of Bath for around a week now, but it feels like much longer than that.

I've come here to begin my Master's in Scriptwriting, which I've been looking forward to since I applied back in March, and it's been an interesting transition from the seaside towns I grew up in to the much busier atmosphere of city life.

Cities have overwhelmed me in the past - London, especially. I travelled there in July for a weekend at Comic Con; I did nearly all of the trip alone, the train, the hotel, finding my way from the hotel to the arena. That entire weekend was enough to convince myself that I'm capable of doing things on my own, but I'm pretty certain that London is not somewhere I'd want to live. Maybe it's the number of large buildings, or the fact that people generally have unfriendly looks, but I couldn't stay there for more than a few days.

Bath, however, has a completely different atmosphere. I've travelled into the city centre a couple of times, and while the area is certainly busy, the vibe is more positive than somewhere like London. I find all sorts of places to shop and get coffee, and I never feel uncomfortable with the people around me. The architecture of the buildings is gorgeous, made of that unique stone Bath is known for, and I'm making a mental note to explore the huge library at some point. I have the buzz of a city environment around me, which is what I craved before moving away from Devon, but it doesn't seem terrifying. Instead, it's motivating.

Not only have I fallen in love with the city itself, but living with new flatmates has been a lovely experience. I applied to live in accommodation with undergraduates, but the age gap hasn't made much difference when it comes to making friends. I've formed connections with every single person I've met, regardless of age, and when I met the people on my course, I loved seeing the variety of backgrounds they have come from, but we all have shared interest, which is scriptwriting.

The course I'm undertaking will be a big leap from my BA. It won't start officially for about nine days, and when it does, it's probably going to hit me how much work it will require. I'll need to do a lot of independent work, sparing eighteen hours a week for it, and will need to collaborate with coursemates and other departments for my projects.

At the end of the course, I'll have a completed script that will be made into a production, then showcased to an audience. I've never had one of my scripts fully produced before, so it's terrifying to know this is what's expected of me. That's why I've started drafting ideas for a short film already, just so I'm prepared to write a script in good time, and then I'll need to get a crew together.

I never thought I'd be saying the words 'writing a script' and 'getting a crew together' in the same sentence, but here I am.

I'm not quite sure what this course will bring me, but I've already established great contacts, and even though I've been warned about how difficult it will seem to begin with, but I'm going to power through it regardless. I've worked hard to get to this stage and I think I owe it to myself to remember what my passion is and work even harder to make it a reality.

It's a big leap when it comes to entering any new stage of your life: a new job, new course, new house. Still, it's important to take those chances since you never know the rewards it will bring you. I'm proud for taking this chance and sticking with my instincts.

Living in Bath will probably one of the best experiences of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023: How the F*** Did We Get Here?

I've been contemplating how I might write this post; what I would even talk about, after so long of not touching my blog, or not even at...